In 1879, at the age of 52, the great, great grandfather of Leland Stone, Joseph Deutz Sr, established his wholesale and retail hardware and plumbing showroom in Laredo, Texas after working in the hardware trade in San Antonio, Texas for twenty-three years. In 1892, Joseph Deutz Sr. and fourteen other men established the Bank of Laredo where Mr. Deutz Sr. served as president of the bank from 1895 to 1903.
Mr. Deutz's son, Leland Stone's great, grandfather, Joseph Deutz Jr., and his three brothers inherited the business in 1896. In 1911, according to the trade publication "Domestic Engineering" (Vol. XVI, No. 13, p. 308), "A. Deutz & Brother have finished what is acknowledged to be one of the most modern and complete retail stores in the south." The article states that "A. Deutz & Bros. are conducting the largest business in their line in southwest Texas." and "It is one of the oldest-established firms...".